Indie game developer Lucid Dreams Studio has announced their next game, Biomorph. It looks like another beautifully hand-drawn metroidvania in the style of Hollow Knight with copy abilities in the vein of Kirby and Mega Man. Biomorph also appears to have some city-building sim elements as you are working to rebuild the city of Blightmore with options to customize the look and feel of the city. While you do this you are meeting townspeople and learning more about them and the history of Blightmore.
In Biomorph, players can:
- Play as the enemies by killing them and taking their shape. Players will be able to use their skills to fight other enemies or use their powers to navigate in uncharted territories.
- Fight through a challenging AI system where previously mimicked creatures unlock new powers to create a unique experience while revisiting areas of the game.
- Explore a vast non-linear, interconnected world composed of 16 different environments, home of optional boss fights, eccentric NPCs, tons of secrets and upgrades to reward the most daring explorer.
- Choose a fighting style by using an arsenal of melee and range weapons, each of them having its own upgrade trees, to bash and shoot enemies.
- Create different builds in support of individual play styles by equipping and mixing different unique skills that you can upgrade.
- Customize the look of the main hub of the game, Blightmoor, to have a unique experience and to feel at home.
Biomorph is the 2nd release from Lucid Dreams Studios following 2020’s Legends of Ethernal. The game is due out in 2023 and has been announced for PC via Steam and consoles. Which consoles specifically we don’t know, but on the official website, it currently lists Nintendo Switch.